Have you ever wanted to share or save something from your Netflix queue? It could be an interesting caption, captivating scenery, or even a heartwarming reunion between the characters you love most. In all of these moments, a quick screenshot can be the perfect way to preserve the raw emotion or even create funny memes for sharing with your friends and family.
Is It Really Possible to Screenshot Netflix?
Netflix does not allow users to take screenshots. If you attempt to capture an image of a movie or show, all you’ll get is a blank screen or a “couldn’t capture screenshot” prompt message. You can’t create screen records either.
As disappointing as this is, it’s difficult to argue against the reason behind it. Netflix does this to prevent the pirating of content on the platform. Without these restrictions, some unscrupulous users would seize the chance to create their own copies of copyrighted content for eventual redistribution through other platforms.
But are there any workarounds, you may ask? The answer is yes. There are several third-party tools that you can use to screenshot Netflix. Some of these tools only work on specific devices. For this reason, we’re now going to look at the steps you need to take to take screenshots on Netflix when using some of the most popular devices on the market.
How to Screenshot Netflix on a Windows 10 PC
There are several options to capture that funny, embarrassing, or inspiring moment from your favorite show in a snap on a Windows 10 PC.
Unfortunately, Netflix can easily detect both the PrintScreen function and the Snipping Tool. Users who attempt Window’s native screen capture methods will see only a blacked-out screen. It’s for this reason that we’ve listed other techniques to screenshot Netflix successfully:
1. Running Your Browser in a Sandbox
Sandboxing is the practice of running a program in an isolated environment to keep out cyber threats and other coding restrictions. If you run your browser in a sandbox, you’re able to get around Netflix’s anti-screenshot technology. Although several apps can do the job, our best pick is Sandboxie. Here’s what you need to do:
- Download and install the Sandboxie app on your computer.
- Run your browser in a sandbox. To do so, right-click on your browser and click on Run Sandboxed. After this, your browser will launch as usual, but there will be a yellow border around it.
- Sign in to your Netflix account and open the movie or documentary you intend to screenshot.
- At this point, you can either use Windows’ inbuilt screenshot tool (snipping tool) or use the age-old Windows + PrtSc shortcut keys.
As long as you’re running your browser in a sandbox, you can take as many screenshots as you want. The good thing about Sandboxie is that it doesn’t make any permanent changes to your system. As such, you can cancel the session and restart your browser in “normal” mode without any problems.
3. Installing Fireshot
Fireshot is a screen capture browser extension developed to screenshot full web pages and automatically store them on your hard drive. You’ll love this tool because it gives you a chance to save your screenshots in a range of formats, including PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, and GIF. To screenshot Netflix using Fireshot, here’s what you need to do:
- Download and install Google Chrome on your system.
- Open the Chrome web store.
- Enter “Fireshot” in the search box on the top left and then select Add to Chrome.
- Sign in to your Netflix account and open the part of the movie or documentary you intend to screenshot.
- At this point, click on Extensions in the top right corner of your browser and select Fireshot.
- Select Capture entire page from the popup menu. Fireshot will take a screenshot and display it in a new window.
- Save the screenshot in the format of your choice.
How to Screenshot Netflix on a Mac
Mac computers are known for their versatility and compatibility with a wide range of tools. If you own one, you’ll be pleased to learn that there are several tools to help you screenshot not just Netflix, but other popular streaming websites too. Let’s now see how you can use each of the two most popular tools on the market: Apowersoft and Fireshot.
1. Mac’s Native Screen Capture
Apple makes it easy for anyone to screenshot Netflix using the system’s native screen capture tools. Unlike the other operating systems we’ll cover in this article, you can use the built-in screenshot keyboard shortcut to capture Netflix content quickly. Here’s how:
- Open Netflix, sign in, and head to the content you’d like to screenshot.
- Using the Mac’s keyboard, click the Command+Shift+3 shortcut to capture the entire computer screen.
- Or, use the Command+Shift+4 command to cut only a portion of the screen you’d like to capture.
- The screen capture will appear on your desktop and in the Recent folder.
We tested this method and it is still working in January of 2022. But, we’ve included other methods for Mac users to screenshot Netflix if this doesn’t work for you.
2. Using Apowersoft
With Apowershot, you can screenshot just about anything on the screen, with no restrictions whatsoever. This tool also allows you to annotate your screenshot as you wish, including adding text, shapes, or even a blur effect. Here’s how to use it to screenshot Netflix;
- Download and install Apowersoft for Mac on your system. Once the installation is complete, you should see a new icon on the menu bar.
- Sign in to your Netflix account and open the part of the movie or documentary you intend to screenshot.
- Use the shortcut Command + R to launch the screenshot mode.
- Drag the cursor along the area you wish to capture.
- Save the screenshot by clicking on the last icon on the captured image.
3. Using Fireshot
Fireshot works well on Mac computers, but you have to download and install the Chrome browser for Mac to use it. Once that part is out of the way, do the following:
- Open the Chrome Web Store.
- Enter “Fireshot” in the search box on the top-left and then select Add to Chrome.
- Open Netflix and navigate to the movie or documentary you intend to screenshot.
- Click on Extensions in the top-right corner of your browser and select Fireshot.
- From the pop-up menu, click on Capture entire page.
- Click on Save as Image.
How to Screenshot Netflix on an iPad
Unfortunately, there’s no way to screenshot Netflix on iPad.
If you try to screenshot Netflix on an iPad using either the physical buttons or assistive touch, you’ll be greeted with a blank screen or a blurry image.
Does this mean that there’s no hope? Thankfully, there is. Just as with computers, third-party apps present a decent workaround. You could try out an app like AirShou, which basically allows users to screenshot or record whatever’s going on in their iPads in real-time without any editing being involved. However, Airshou is not available on App Store. You’d have to get it from third-party vendors.
How to Screenshot Netflix on an iPhone
As with iPads, Netflix content can’t be captured with the standard iOS Share Sheet, which only works with images captured from non-protected sources. The usual way to screenshot on iPhones (by pressing down the Siri button and Volume Up at the same time) doesn’t work with Netflix and other websites that feature protected entertainment content.
The only workaround, as before, lies in third-party apps.
How to Screenshot Netflix on Android
Android may be a bit more flexible on matters to do with digital rights management (DRM) compared to iOS, but it still doesn’t allow you to capture screenshots directly on Netflix. The only solution is third-party apps. However, most of these apps are not easy to work with. For example, you may have to switch off your Wi-Fi or initiate airplane mode before taking a shot. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few good ones out there.
Let’s see how you can screenshot Netflix on Android using one of the most popular apps on the market – the XRecorder app by InShot Inc.
- Download and install the XRecorder app.
- Once the installation is complete, grant XRecorder the permission to draw over other apps. You can do this by visiting the Apps permission section under Settings.
- Open Netflix and navigate to the movie or documentary you intend to screenshot. You should be able to see a camera icon on the screen.
- Tap on the Camera icon and then tap on the Briefcase icon.
- Check the box next to Screenshot.
- Tap on Screenshot again on the popup screen. The XRecorder app will then capture the screen.
You could use these screenshots in blog posts about trending shows and TV series. They’re also great for showing off your personalized home screen setup with Netflix. Just make sure not to include personal information like passwords or account info in the shot!
This section includes some more answers to your questions about taking screenshots of Netflix.
Why Are My Netflix Screenshots Black or Blank?
Netflix doesn’t allow screenshotting of content on its platform. The goal is to make it difficult to pirate movies and shows. The company’s official usage policy states that you must get their permission before showing any screenshots of their content.
Why Does Netflix Make It Hard to Screenshot?
Netflix doesn’t want its users to acquire screen captures of content for distribution. They don’t want people violating their copyright by uploading copies of “Netflix Originals” or third-party content distributed via the platform. They’d rather have users stream the shows than share screenshots.
The other reason is that Netflix has become increasingly concerned with the idea of spoilers. Part of Netflix’s goal is to keep people on the edge of their seats or show them something they have not seen before.
Is It Illegal to Screenshot Netflix Videos?
Yes. As per the company’s usage policy, it’s illegal to take screenshots without their consent.
Can I screenshot the Netflix home page?
Yes! If you need to take screenshots of the Netflix home page, Settings, or profile, you can easily complete the task using your device’s native screen capture tools. The company only restricts screenshots during active playback of titles.
Start Screenshotting Like a Pro
Screenshots can be so helpful when discussing a film or TV show you have watched with friends and family. But with so many devices that offer the Netflix app, it can be hard to remember which steps you need for screenshots. Luckily, we’ve created this handy guide to make your life a little simpler when catching up on the latest release or binging your favorite show. To get started, just follow these simple instructions, and soon enough, you’ll begin screenshotting like a pro!
Which device do you primarily use? Let us know in the comments below.